Mahwah Public Library staff will serve as proctors for exams taken by distance learners within the following guidelines:
- Proctoring is a free service.
- A minimum of one-week advance notice is required. In addition, all test taking requirements must be received from the issuing educational institution before any tests are taken.
- Exams will be scheduled during normal library hours of service.
- Proctoring consists of:
- Checking identification of student taking the exam.
- Noting the time that an exam was started and completed in the Library.
- Signing the required school supplied documentation.
- Direct supervision during the exam is not provided.
- Examinations will be taken in a quiet area of the library.
- The exam proctor will be the librarian in charge at the time the exam is taken.
- The Library cannot proctor online exams that require public access computer settings to be modified.
- Staff will seal the envelope of the completed exam and place in library outgoing mail.
- The Library does not keep copies of completed exams.
- It is the student’s responsibility to confirm that this proctoring policy meets the requirements of the institution giving the examination.
- The service must not involve any direct cost to the Library. Students or the administering institution will be responsible for providing postage and any other expenses incurred.
- It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the library’s computing resources are adequate for their test taking requirements. MPL accepts no responsibility for Internet connections.
- Completed exams will be returned to the testing institution via the U.S. Postal Service in postage paid envelopes provided by the student or institution.
Guidelines were adapted from the following BCCLS sources: http://hoboken.bccls.org/html/lib_services.htm and http://northarlington.bccls.org/NAPL_Proctoring_Services.pdf
For more information, contact the Reference Desk at 201-529-7323 ext. 226.