The Library offers notary public services for the benefit of local residents.
Guidelines for these services are as follows:
- The notary is generally in the library from 10am to 4pm, but may not always be available. Call the Business Office (201.529.2972) before you come to make sure the notary is available or schedule an appointment.
- Notary public service is free for Mahwah residents with identification and $2.50/page for non-residents.
- Only documents in English will be notarized.
- All form and documents must be complete before being notarized. Form with blank spaces cannot be notarized.
- A valid, government-issued photo identification (e.g.: photo driver’s license, passport) is required from any customer seeking notary service and from their witness.
- Notary service is not available for power of attorney, mortgage documents, deeds, wills, living wills, living trusts, codicils, depositions or vital records as these types of documents can require specialized knowledge and is beyond the scope of this service. In addition, the notary cannot perform oaths of office.
- In situations where a witness is required, the person requesting notary services must bring a witness who personally knows the individual requesting the service. The witness must bring government-issued photo identification (e.g. driver’s license, passport). Library staff and patrons cannot act as a witness.
- New Jersey law requires that a Notary and the customer seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other. Library Notaries are not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with individuals requesting this service.
- In accordance with New Jersey Notarial Law, notaries will not provide service if the customer, document or circumstances of the request for notary service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt or uncertainty for the Library or notary. In this event, the library notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide notary service.
- Library notaries are not attorneys licensed to practice law and may not give legal advice about
immigration or any other legal matter or accept fees for legal advice.
Request a Notary Appointment Online
Notary services are available by appointment. Appointments can be made online or by calling the Library's administration office at 201.529.2972.
Please review the information below prior to requesting an appointment for notary services.Notary services are available:
Monday through Friday from 10am - 12pm and 2pm - 4pm