Devices & Things
Hankering to learn guitar, looking for buried treasure, searching for life in the cosmos, or trying to find a stud? The Library has just the thing for that—and more—in Mahwah’s Library of Things!
The Library of Things is a collection of non-traditional library items – “Things” – you can check out, just like a book! The Library of Things builds our current collection of devices and STEM kits that have proven popular over the past several years. We hand-selected “things” that we think will be especially popular with Mahwah residents and will be adding new things based on your feedback.
- Devices are available to Mahwah adult cardholders 18 years and older.
- Devices may be borrowed for 14 days and are not renewable.
- Two devices may be borrowed at the same time per household.
- Reserve a kit up to 60 days in advance through our website, or by asking staff at the adult services desk, or by telephone.
- If you need to cancel or change your reservation, please call the adult services desk as soon as possible so others may have the opportunity to check out the device or thing.
- Failure to pick up the device or thing at the reserved time will result in the reservation being canceled and the kit being given to the next person in line.
- Patrons who have reserved and not picked up a device or thing after two occurrences will be unable to borrow any device for 6 months.
- Want to check out a device or thing again? You can make your next device reservation 4 days after you return a kit. Your next reservation must be 1 month, or later, from the date you picked up your last kit.
- Reserve a device online or by speaking with staff at the adult services desk.
- Pick up the device from staff at the adult services desk and fill out a Lending Form.
- Return the device to staff at the adult services desk before closing at the end of your loan in order to avoid fees.
- Devices may not be returned to another library or in the book drop.
- Devices must be returned in the condition that they are received, including the case and all accessories in order to avoid fees.
- There is no charge to reserve or borrow a device.
- Devices returned late are charged $5 per day.
- After 7 days, patrons must pay the full replacement cost of the device.
- If the device is lost or damaged beyond repair, patrons must pay the full replacement cost listed.
- Any component (remote control, cable, case, batteries, etc) not returned with the device will incur a replacement cost.