Tails & Tales Summer Reading Challenge
Join us this summer for amazing events, book clubs, activities, and challenges to earn great rewards and raffle tickets.
Rise to the Challenge and earn Rewards this summer!
Summer reading is both fun and rewarding at the Library! Simply track your reading to earn rewards!
Children from birth through 4th grade, take a walk on the wild side with Tails & Tales! To complete this challenge, we suggest you read 20 minutes a day.
What counts? You can read books, ebooks, magazines, comics, graphic novels, or listen to audiobooks! Track the time you spend reading in Beanstack to earn badges and fun rewards.
- Signup to earn your Tiger badge and receive a sticker
- Read 140 minutes to earn your Bold Alligator badge and receive a Mahwah Library summer reading tote bag* and raffle ticket
- Read 280 minutes to earn your Dreamy Penguin badge and select a prize from the Children’s Room
- Read 420 minutes to earn your Curious Elephant badge and receive a Mahwah Library summer reading mug* and raffle ticket
- Read 560 minutes to earn your Eccentric Snake badge and select a prize from the Children’s Room
- Read 700 minutes to earn your Daring Deer badge and receive a Mahwah Library cap* and raffle ticket
- Read 980 minutes to earn your Imaginative Giraffe badge and select a prize from the Children’s Room.
- If you read 980 minutes this summer you also earn your Lion Tale badge and a personalized Certificate of Completion
Welcome teen readers entering grades 5 & up!
Creatures of all kinds swim the seas, roam the lands, and soar through the sky — and many have both a Tail and a Tale! Their myths and legends offer a unique world of reading to experience!
You can read whatever books, ebooks, Manga & graphic novels, online Fanfiction, newspapers, and magazines you like. You can listen to audiobooks & eaudiobooks too! Simply track the time you read/listen using Beanstack in order to unlock special badges and earn some neat rewards!
You will also find 10 awesome Activities with specific tasks within each one to tackle. For each Activity you complete you will unlock a special badge, AND earn 1 raffle ticket for a chance to win a special prize!
- Signup to earn your See…They Do Exist! badge and receive a bookmark and your choice of a pencil, eraser, or sticky notepad
- Read 150 minutes to earn your Lake Monster badge and receive a Mahwah Library summer reading tote bag* and raffle ticket
- Read 300 minutes to earn your Finding Who? badge and select a prize from the Teen Room
- Read 600 minutes to earn your From the Ashes badge and receive a Mahwah Library summer reading mug* and raffle ticket
- Read 750 minutes to earn your The Rarest Horse badge and select a prize from the Children’s Room
- Read 900 minutes to earn your Firebreather badge and receive a Mahwah Library cap* and raffle ticket
- Read 1200 minutes to complete the challenge, earn your From the Depths badge, and select prize from the Teen Room
*while supplies last
Explore the world of Tails and Tales at the Mahwah Public Library!
Summer reading isn’t just for kids – during our Adult Summer Reading Challenge, we offer a variety of events, book clubs, workshops, and challenges for lots of great prizes and raffle drawings. We have something for everyone, and we know everyone has a tale!
Use Beanstack to track your reading this summer and earn great Library swag and raffle tickets.
- Read three books to earn a Mahwah Library summer reading tote bag* and raffle ticket
- Read six books to earn a Mahwah Library summer reading mug* and raffle ticket
- Read nine books to earn a Mahwah Library cap* and raffle ticket
*while supplies last
Enter to Win a Raffle Basket!
This year we’re raffling prize baskets with a mix of incredible gifts donated by local businesses.
Everyone enrolled in our Summer Reading Challenge can earn up to ten raffle tickets. Earn up to three tickets by participating in the Summer Reading Challenge and reading. You can earn up to seven additional tickets with these activities.
- Bring in an item from this list for donation to the Ramapo-Bergen Animal Refuge
- Bring in a most needed item from this list for donation to the Center for Food Action.
- Attend any Mahwah Library program, whether it’s in person or virtual.
- Discover our graphic novel section and check out something new.
- Borrow a Museum Pass and take your family on an adventure to somewhere new.
- Share a photo of yourself at an animal shelter, zoo, farm, or aquarium and tag us on social media (@mahwahlibrary). If you don’t have social media, email the photo to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll post it on your behalf.
- Join us in reading our “One Town, One Book” selection, Charlotte’s Web, by E.B. White and start a conversation with friends or family.
One Town, One Book
Mahwah is proud to host a town-wide literary event encouraging community members of all ages and walks of life to read and discuss one book. This summer, we are celebrating E.B. White’s classic coming-of-age tale, Charlotte’s Web.
Our summer-long celebration focuses on a classic tale of a lovable pig named Wilbur and his friendship with a spider named Charlotte and includes author talks, discussion groups and special events inspired by Charlotte’s Web, E.B. White’s life, and our summer reading theme “Tails & Tales.”
We are giving copies of this classic away to adults who register for our Summer Reading Challenge in the hope that they will read with their children and grandchildren and spark an inter-generational love of reading and literature.
Copies of Charlotte’s Web are available first come-first serve starting on Saturday, June 26, to Mahwah residents with a valid library card who are enrolled in the adult Summer Reading Challenge. Limit copy one per family, while supplies last.
Participation in our Summer Reading Challenge is easy! Simply login to Beanstack and create your account. (Parents can quickly create accounts for their children and help them track their progress.) Simply remember to track your reading throughout the summer. Whenever you hit a challenge goal, we’ll let you know that you’re eligible to claim your reward!
On the go this summer? No problem! Use the Beanstack mobile app to track your reading while traveling. Remember that reading and listening online counts towards your reading goals!
The Summer Reading Challenge is for Mahwah residents only. We encourage you to visit your local library to participate in their summer reading activities.
Nonresidents can still attend some programs. Check our calendar of events for registration information.
You do not need a Mahwah Library card to participate, but we highly encourage you to register for a card. Registration is free and gives you access to a ton of awesome resources and services!
Participants in all Summer Reading Challenges have the chance to win a custom designed Mahwah Library tote bag, mug, and ball cap while supplies last.
In addition, participants in the Children’s and Teen Summer Reading Challenges can earn up to four “choice” rewards earned, for a total of seven rewards.
Simply login to your Beanstack account to track your progress and see what rewards you are eligible for at every level.
As soon as they are earned! Simply stop by the Library during normal hours to claim your reward.
Raffle winners will be announced on August 16, 2021.
All rewards and raffles must be claimed by Tuesday, August 31, 2021.
The children’s and teen Summer Reading Challenges are structured the same: there are six reward levels for logging reading minutes and earning prizes, and there are 7 additional activity badges that participants can complete to earn raffle tickets. Participants in the Children’s Summer Reading Challenge must read 16 hours and 20 minutes to earn all badges and complete the challenge, and participants in Teen Summer Reading Challenge must read 20 hours to earn all badges and complete the challenge.